The following programs are recommended by SSCF. Many are open-source (free) alternatives to many commercially available products.
- UCSD VPN — Access UCSD resources from off-campus
Windows Client | | Mac OS X Client
- Microsoft Security Essentials — Free Antivirus protection
- Kompozer — Free HTML editor
- GIMP — Free Image editor
- Real VLC Media Player — Free Media Player
- FileZilla — Free FTP client
- Memtest 86 — Free RAM testing utility (Windows only)
- Darik’s Boot and Nuke — Free hard drive erase utility
- CPUZ ID — Free CPU and RAM info utility
- Bart PE — Free Windows recovery utility
SSCF provides divisional paid licenses for Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office for divisional staff and faculty on university inventoried computers. To get a copy installed on your computer, please request one.
SSCF also provides cloud backup for your desktop. Sign up on the CrashPlan page.