Exchange Migration 2017
Subject: UCSD Campus Exchange (email) Migration – Division of Social Sciences Proposed Dates: May 3rd, 9th and 11th, 2017
UC San Diego is currently upgrading the Exchange email environment to Microsoft’s Office 365 cloud services as part of an initiative to improve IT security. The upgrade will help IT Services provide a more secure environment to customers with the added benefit of many new features. General information about this migration is outlined on the following Blink page: https://blink.ucsd.edu/technology/email/upgrade/
Who this affects: Faculty and staff who use the campus Exchange environment (mail.ucsd.edu) for email and calendaring.
Who is not affected: Faculty and staff who use the campus Google environment or who forward their mail to an off-campus provider.
Benefits (as stated by ITS)
- Much-improved OWA (webmail) interface
- Integration with other Office 365 products like OneDrive
- Better search functionality
- All email quotas will increase to 99GB
- More sophisticated anti-malware protection
- Other features that can be used to increase efficiency and improve navigation of your mailbox
- Division of Social Sciences will be moved on the following dates: May 3rd, 4th, and 9th.
- Early adopters will be moved prior to the scheduled migration dates.
More details will be forthcoming regarding specific times and dates for each department in subsequent emails.
- Issues viewing calendar details between old and new environments
- Mac mail users may need to reconfigure their mail clients
- As a result of reconfiguring mail clients, computers might be slower due to indexing
- Mobile devices might need to be reconfigured
How to get support:
On the day your department is moved, SSCF, ITS and other IT departments across campus will assist faculty and staff to deal with any potential issues that may arise.
ITS will be available at x6-HELP
SSCF is always available at x2-2423
Cognitive Science email@example.com
Critical Gender Studies firstname.lastname@example.org
Dean’s Office email@example.com
Design Lab firstname.lastname@example.org
EAOP and TRIO email@example.com
Education Studies firstname.lastname@example.org
Ethnic Studies email@example.com
Latin American Studies firstname.lastname@example.org
Political Science email@example.com
Talk with your departmental IT support personnel if you have specific concerns.
UCSD – Division of Social Sciences
Social Sciences Computing Facility
Information Technology Support Supervisor
Mail Code: 0502